Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

What payment methods are accepted?

BACS is the preferred payment method for invoices but cash, cheques or credit/debit card payments are also welcome.

When is payment due?

I don’t ask for deposits or advances so, generally, for standard electrical work payment is due in full upon completion allowing you to see what you’re paying for. On large projects such as rewires/refurbishments, staged payment will be applied to cover time and materials either as each stage completes or at the end of each month.

If I rent the property can I book work and have you send the bill to my landlord?

The person booking the work is responsible for payment when due. If you don’t own the property, you would have to make arrangements to claim costs back from the landlord yourself. Before booking work, you should check the landlord is happy to go ahead with any supplied estimate or place me directly in contact with the landlord for confirmation.

Will you work alongside another tradesperson or be subcontracted. If you to do the electrical work on my job, can you bill the homeowner directly?

Yes, but only if I have been introduced to the homeowner to discuss the job and we have agreed between us to make such an arrangement. Where no such pre-work agreement exists directly between me and your client, then the invoicing will be given to you as the person booking the work, and immediate payment will be expected upon presentation. Even if you pass my invoice onto your client, the debt remains yours until it is paid.

How much will it cost?

There is no charge to come out to discuss work or to look at a job, however any site visit which involves opening the toolbox and applying specialist knowledge to undertake either faultfinding, repair or installation tasks will be charged for. Pricing is modular and based on the hourly rates as published on this website. These rates may also be applied part-hourly, so a site visit of less than an hour in duration will still incur the rounded hour charge making it more cost effective if you’re able to batch smaller jobs together.

Why does the initial hour cost more?

The initial hour is priced higher than subsequent hours to cover the overheads outside of the time on site. Before I turn up all tooled-up and ready to knock on your door, time will already have been expended on any preliminary visits and discussions, estimate preparation, travel time, fuel costs and identifying & procuring the required materials. It also covers the time spent after completion on site dealing with the disposal of recyclable materials and administrative tasks such as invoicing, certification and filing.

I called you out to find a fault but you haven't fixed anything. Why should I pay you?

If you require me to use my tools and expertise to investigate a perceived fault, then you would be charged for my time regardless of whether any fault is actually found or whether you want me to further quote for any rectification work. As a business, I cannot volunteer my time for free troubleshooting unless it has been pre-agreed that I will be paid to fix the issue.

Do you have a day rate?

A reduced rate based on a day figure may be applied to larger projects booked to run into multiple days such as a full house rewire, but for standard work the hourly rate applies. Day rates may vary and, where applicable, are applied at the quoting/estimating stage and cannot be applied retrospectively.

Will you take cash for a discount?

No. Cash is acceptable to pay the quoted or estimated amount given for the job but its then on myself to pay this into the bank which is not the easiest thing to do with many banks closing. I cannot offer a discount when I will have already priced the job as competitively as possible. My rates as published or pricing as estimated will be as low as I’m prepared to go. My preferred payment method is BACS, not cash.

Can I claim back the VAT on your invoice?

Currently Boss Electrical Bristol is not VAT registered.

How quickly can work start?

Booking a trades-person is not easy and we do tend to be quite heavily booked in advance. But, We will do our utmost to accommodate you in as timely a manor we can.

Do you repair electrical appliances?

I might change an oven or storage heater element, but generally if your washing machine isn’t washing or your cooker isn’t cooking then you should seek someone who specializes in appliance repair. My specialty is fixed building wiring.

Can I alter the agreed scope of works?

Yes, but such variations may alter the final pricing depending on the impact on time and materials.

Where can I read/write reviews?

Google, Checkatrade and Facebook are currently the best sources. We are currently looking for a better suited option for the provision of reviews.

What are your accreditations and qualifications?

See my About page for a list of the professional bodies I am currently registered with. You can look up my company on the websites of the listed organisations to ensure my registration is current.

Are you insured?

Yes, I am fully insured for both professional indemnity and public liability.

When will I receive my BS7671 or Part-P paperwork?

Although the details for the BS7671 certificate will be available to me upon completion of works, please allow up to seven days from the receipt of payment for me to process your certificate. Your Part-P notification, if applicable, will be submitted to Napit at the same time and they will inform Local Authority Building Control of any notifiable work. Your Building Regulations Part-P certificate should then arrive within thirty days if a paper copy is required, or can be provided immediately after submission in electronic (PDF) form via email.

Book An Appointment

We would love to hear from you. Please fill out the brief form below and we will get back to soon.

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.